In addition on Wednesday, September 15th, 2021, Amoud University will welcome new students who have just completed secondary to its main campus in Borama for a briefing about all issues pertaining to department of freshman studies. The event is scheduled to be held at the graduation hall, main campus, Amoud University in Borama, starting 9:00am.
The freshman department acts as the entry point for all students at Amoud University who wish to pursue undergraduate degrees. A student must undertake one year of the requirement courses provided at the freshman department before proceeding to the sophomore academic year after attaining the minimum required cumulative grade point average and course grades as stipulated in requirements for the different specializations in the university. Each faculty or school at Amoud University has a fairly autonomous academic plan and the minimum requirements differ from one faculty or school to another.
Programme Background and Rationale
Recognizing the diverse academic backgrounds, the freshman department receives newly graduated secondary school students who intend to study at Amoud University. Students who intend to enroll for degree programs at Amoud University should normally enroll at the freshman department. This is a bridging stage intended to introduce all students from all backgrounds to the students’ culture expected at Amoud University. The department respects each student’s
interests, abilities, and goals. The two semester program acknowledges the common need of all students to enroll in their favorite faculties. It therefore, provides general courses but which focuses each student to a particular degree programme. In order to cater for the needs of the newly registered students, the freshman programme;
- Narrows down the academic gap among the newly registered students because they come from different academic backgrounds and regions.
- Prepares students for variety of faculties and programmes by equipping them with strong knowledge and quality courses which make each of them capable of joining their preferred disciplines.
- Filters students and picks students for various faculties based on merit.
- The programme is offered through course work and examinations. Students take basic courses in science, mathematics, English, Arabic language and Islamic studies. After successful completion of the programme, students are eligible to enroll into programmes of their choice, if they meet the requirements of those programmes.
The objective of the freshman progamme is to enable students understand how the university system works and how to access advice and academic support services in the university. They should be able to understand their relationships, their responsibilities, and how to take actions and make decisions related to their academic plans; having developed a strong foundation for undergraduate studies.
By the end of the freshman programme, students should;
- Be able to use the university resources for various purposes, being conversant with the basic university procedures, rules and regulations that will facilitate their stay in the university.
- Have acquired foundational knowledge in science, mathematics, English, Arabic language, and Islamic studies that are fundamental for specializations in the various undergraduate programmes.
- Demonstrate sufficient mastery of the foundational courses to show readiness to progress to specific undergraduate programmes.
- Demonstrate mastery of basic English and the ability to listen and communicate clearly in writing and orally.
Target Groups and Outcomes
The freshman programme targets all students who have completed SGCSE and who intend to pursue university education at Amoud University. Students who have enrolled in other universities are also eligible under the credit transfer scheme.
Expected Programme Outcomes
The programme intends to produce:
- Students who are independent thinkers and who can make rational decisions on their careers and in general life.
- Confident and competent students who can pursue admission in a university, even outside Amoud University.