The council appoints senior officials of the university with the exception of university president.
There shall exist a Council at Amoud University called Amoud University Council. The University Council shall:
- Be the organ responsible for governance, control and the day to day administration of the University;
- Be the executive body of the University;
- Have the overall responsibility with regard to operations of the University; and
- Be responsible to the Board of Trustees.
Membership of the University Council
Members of the Council shall be:
- The President, as the Chairperson;
- Vice President for Administration and Finance; as the Secretary;
- Principals of Colleges and Schools;
- Deans of the Faculties, Institutes of the University;
- Directors of Institutes and programs;
- Directors of Central university offices;
- Chairperson of the Examinations Board;
- Students Representative(s);
- Staff Representative(s).
Functions of the University Council
The University Council shall:
- Approve the budget and submit to the Board of Trustees for final approval;
- Approve all academic and administrative policies and, rules and regulations governing the various organs including promotion and
termination of services of the University;
- Amend the policies and, rules and regulations regulations of the University, if and when necessary in accordance with Article 26 (1-3);
- Ratify agreements and contracts entered into by the University with other institutions;
- Discuss and make decisions on matters concerning all aspects of the University submitted by the President, or Senate;
- Establish committees and Units to undertake specific tasks concerning the operations of the University;
- Determine the fees and other charges levied by the University;
- Ensure that a proper management structure is in place and that the structure functions to maintain corporate integrity, reputation and
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of strategies, polices, and management criteria and plans of the University;
- Provide for the welfare of students and staff of the University; and
- Confer, after receiving a report from Senate, the relevant titles of professor, etc.
- Perform other functions as may be delegated by the Board of Trustees.
Committees of the University Council
- The Council shall have the following standing committees:
- Executive Committee;
- Planning, Finance and Investment Committee;
- Human Resource Committee;
- Academic Committee; and
- Disciplinary Committee;
- Ad-Hoc Committees may be formed if and when necessary.
A member of the Council shall hold office for a term of Four (4) years and shall be eligible for appointment for another term. However, the office of a member of the Council shall become vacant:
- If the member resigns in writing to the Chairperson of Council;
- If the Council is satisfied that the member, by reason of ill-health, is unable to exercise the functions of his/her office;
- If the member is guilty of gross misconduct;
Upon the death of a members.
Notwithstanding the provision of this Constitution, the Council shall not initiate any action with respect to any of the matters mentioned in Article 11.3 except upon a receipt of a report or proposal there under.