- Sunday, 16 March 2014
Click here to download free Brochure for School of Medical Laboratory Technology.
You can also visit the Official Website of Amoud University College of Health Sciences at www.amoudmed.org to find out more about School of Medical Laboratory Technology.
The BSc. Medical laboratory science is a professional course which is intended to equip the trainees with knowledge, skills and attitudes to enable them to work as medical laboratory technologists.
The courses was established on the 27th sept 2010. It’s the first four(4) year degree course in medical laboratory technology ever establish in SOMALILAND and SOMALIA. Medical laboratory technology training combines theoretical knowledge of the basic natural and medical sciences with the skillful use of sophisticated equipment and techniques to provide vital information that may be required for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, quality control, quality assurance, research development and production. In addition to the medical scientific knowledge and good technical skills, attention to detail, analytical and critical thinking are required for certification as a medical laboratory technologist .
Is to be an excellent school of laboratory technology to produce highly skilled, competent, and professional lab technologists.
The Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences will produce highly trained and skilled Clinical Laboratory technologist who have the capabilities and drive to:
Be leaders in clinical laboratories, universities, as well as other medical related services.
Improve laboratory diagnostic services, locally and globally.
Conduct high level scientific research to gain better understanding and offer new diagnostic tools for endemic diseases.
Objectives of the school is to:
- Apply the principles that form the basis of the medical laboratory practice to select, set up and operate laboratory equipment carry out standard procedures to obtain quality results.
- Manage services and resources of a medical laboratory.
- Participate in the multidisciplinary planning, implementation, coordination and evaluation of healthcare of the individual and community.
- Contribute to the development of science and technology through creativity and application of acquired knowledge, skills and attitudes.
- Initiate and participate in the improvement of the diagnostic procedures.
- Create awareness and appreciation of laboratory services to the general public.
- Carry out quality assurance and quality control.
- Participate in continuing medical education.
Most subjects are taught with a variety of methods including lectures, projected materials with lecturers notes presented to the students, practical work and seminars.
- Problem based learning
- Self directed learning
- Group dynamics
- Team work
- Early practical training at all levels of health services (individuals, families and communities)
- Staff training and development
Criteria for admission
The students entering the school should have the following minimum requirements:
- Completed secondary education
- Have completed one year of freshman course
- A freshman GPA of greater than 3.0
- An interest in medical laboratory
- Holder of diploma of medical laboratory sciences from an institution recognized by Amoud university.
The credit hour per semester forms the basis of awarding a degree at the university.
in order to be eligible for a degree, a student must earn successfully a minimum of 124credit hours with an overall GPA( grade point average) of at least 2.5.
The university operates on a semester system and academic year commences mid September the previous calendar year and continues until mid July the following calendar year. There is a one month holiday break after the first semester and a two –month holiday at the end of the academic year.
Students enrollment of the school
# class # students
1 1st year lab technology 25
2 2nd year lab technology 25
3 3rd year lab technology 27
4 4th year lab technology 18
total total 95
Written examinations: multiple choices questions, for example single best answer, extended matching questions (EMQ) and short answer questions (SAQ).
Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
Individual student portfolios including work at rural & Health centers and students assignments.
Educational development Unit.
Teaching Hospital Teaching Hospital
1 Allaaleh Hospital
2 Al-hayatt Hospital
3 BoramaRegional Hospital
1 Four main MCH’s in Borama
Tel + 252 63-4542041
+ 252 63-4455191
+ 252 63-4546844
- Most read