I have been dreaming since 2003 when I come back to Somaliland for the first time after 13 years to visit my sick mother and having seen the lack of trained dental professionals, I decided to establish dental school as soon as I can, otherwise the oral heath situation of the country might go from bad to worse.
The School of dentistry will offer its students four years of clinical experience; our students will also learn the value and discipline of teamwork by working in groups of students with varying degrees of competence and experience.
The opportunities which the new Dental School presents for its staff, its students and the public are extraordinary. It will be my responsibility to ensure that the Dental School operates at the highest standards, with a happy and productive staff so that by 2014(inshallah), and its graduates will be recognized as world-class dental professionals. It is a challenge which I relish and look forward to and I see it as my absolute duty to ensure that the School succeeds in all spheres.
Dr abdirashid Omar Sh Ibrahim, (BDS 1986 Punjab University Lahore, Pakistan , MSc 2003-2004 Kings College, London University, UK)
Dean of School of Dentistry
Objectives of School
The curriculum School dentistry is designed to meet the instructional objectives of the School. These objectives are as follows:
- To help the students a code of ethics that relates Somali values and heritage their personal behavior and professional practice.
- To provide its graduates with solid foundations from which to pursue the various specifications required to meet present and future dental care needs of our people.
- To impact a body of knowledge which is basic to the understanding of human structure, development and function, and the common derangements of the various body system.
- To import those skills that is fundamental to the application of the knowledge to physical, mental and social problems.
- To teach an attitude which will enhance the dentists ability to care of people to work with professional’s colleagues and to achieve personal development and satisfaction?
- To encourage and emphasize the importance of the self-learning.
- To promote the ability to communicate effectively in both Arabic and English to enable its graduates to participate in translating and assembling a relevant Somali Medical Literature.
- To make sure as much as possible students have a level of education based on international standards to optimize patient care and advance the oral health status of the people.
- To facilitate the implementation of researches in dental public health with other partners.
- To Contribute with the national health system development efforts and collectively plans with MOH and development partners on human resource development initiatives
- To continue training and generates enough qualified dentists
- Next >>