Welcome to Faculty of Sharia and Law Postgraduate Studies
Established in 1997/1998, Amoud University is the first Higher Education Institutions (HEI) in Somaliland. Before 1991, students used to go to Mogadishu for higher education. In 1996 four Somaliland citizens living in Saudi Arabia proposed the idea of establishing an HEI. Initial preparations were made in 1997 including rehabilitation of parts of the campus and the implementation of a remedial course in English for the first intake of 70 students. On November 4th 1998 Amoud University was inaugurated by the former Vice-President of Somaliland (former president).
Again on November 4th 2008, one decade after its official inauguration, the university has shifted its focus to the provision of quality services and preparations were started to launch postgraduate programs at all levels. It’s against this backdrop that, and as part of its 2011-2015 strategic plans, the university has decided to launch its first post-graduate program in the academic year of 2012-2013.
Amoud University aspires to be a centre of excellence in education and scholarship in the Horn of Africa and a pioneer in promoting understanding and peace between cultures and communities in the region.
The Mission of Amoud University is to significantly contribute to the development of the potentialities of Somaliland people through education and training and thus help them join the global village.
ORIGINAL OBJECTIVES OF AMOUD UNIVERSITY
1. To restore hope for the young generation and strengthen their confidence in their Islamic faith and country and create a sense of direction in order prevent them from getting involved in anti-social activities including confrontations
2. To set an example for other regions as a practical demonstration of the benefits of the culture of peace
3. To pioneer a tradition of higher education in Somaliland and to train a new breed of professionals
4. To influence and guide the system of education in the country
5. To provide an alternative and opportunities for those who were being attracted to foreign countries under the pretext of seeking higher education
6. To retain professionals inside the country and to attract back those in the Diaspora.
The most crucial and starting question is “Why do we need to establish a post-graduate program at this particular point in time?” The answer of this question constitutes the rationale behind the establishment of the program. The following are some of the answers to the above-mentioned question.
· It is an integral part of our current strategic plan (2011-2015)
· It will improve our staff by upgrading them academically and administratively.
· It will provide graduates of Somaliland Universities with opportunity to get affordable, local and relevant post-graduate programs
· It will improve quality of undergraduate programs of the university through staff training
· It stands to be the first post-graduate program offered by a Somali higher education institution
· It will meet the demand by higher education institutions for lecturers and administrators nationwide
· It will respond to the growing need for professionals for the expanding economic sectors.
PROGRAMS TO BE OFFERED
In order to achieve its objectives, Amoud University has always been developing new academic programs and reviewing existing ones. These post-graduate programs are market driven, innovative, and in line with National Developmental Goals. They target students and professionals at all levels. The post-graduate programs will be implemented in six faculties:
1. Faculty of Education
2. Faculty of Business, Economics and Public Administration
3. Faculty of Medicine
4. Faculty of Nursing
5. Faculty of Agriculture and Environment
6. Faculty of Shari and Law
The post-graduate school will offer a total of 7 PhD, 17 Master and 2 PGD specializations that will be implemented in the six faculties. The specializations are as follows:
SHARIA AND LAW
· LLM of International Law
· LLM of International Business and Economic Law
· MA in Islamic Sharia
· MA in Islamic Studies
· Post-graduate Diploma in Islamic Law
· Post-graduate Diploma in Islamic Law